Monday, December 26, 2011

Blog Post #14: Monday, December 26, 2011

Today, I spent another day with my family but for another holiday. My aunt did not believe in the story of Christmas, and instead believed in the morals of Kwanzaa, and wanted our family to gather at her house to celebrate the first day. A part of me has always wanted to celebrate Kwanzaa because it is about bringing family together, and coming together to give thanks for the things given to us throughout the year. My aunt had taught me a lot that day. I had learned about some of the words that were used around the holiday, and what they represent. Today represented "Umoja", which meant unity.

My sisters and cousins got to participate in a lot of things, too. They got to light the first Kwanzaa candle, pour water in a bowl for ancestors, and say a prayer for the family. The only thing we did not do traditionally was exchange a daily gift because we already participated in that on Saturday.  It was a very unique experience, and changed the way I felt about even participating today.

No comments:

Post a Comment